En Route...

on this road called Life.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

A sapling's lesson in strength - 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

Originally written January 16, 2006; edited March 2015

So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. 9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 ESV

When Katrina blew through the Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama coasts in August 2005, she left a gruesome wake of damage, not just in the three states hit, but also extending into Florida and Texas. When we visited my mom's side of the family for Christmas that year, I was able to see the damage along the Mississippi coast firsthand, and I was flabbergasted! Despite ongoing clean up efforts, the magnitude of Katrina's devastation seemed omnipresent even four months later. Houses and entire neighborhoods were obliterated. Miles inland were flooded or destroyed. Debris was still everywhere. The pictures just didn't do it justice!

On our way to the family Christmas gathering, which was 15-20 miles inland, we passed acres upon acres of woods, which were littered with remnants of Katrina's force. One home in particular left a lasting impression. The property looked like a war zone! Big, huge trees were snapped in half or completely uprooted with the mass of its roots left dangling in the air. It was unbelievable to see these massive trees blown over like a row of dominoes. And yet, there was a stark contrast on this property. While the enormous, old trees lay destroyed or uprooted, a vast majority of the little weak trees - the saplings - stood rooted and firm in the ground. They miraculously managed to withstand the storm's destructive winds.

Sure enough, the further we drove, the more common this sight became. Big trees uprooted or split in pieces, while the little, weak trees remained. Apparently, the small trees had one thing going for them that their huge counterparts didn't: their small trunks were weak. This weakness meant their trunks were more flexible and pliable so that they could bend, not snap in two, in the force of the wind. In this particular storm, the saplings' weakness proved to be their strength. Their weakness was God's grace to them. 

Mile after mile, acre after acre, the Lord kept driving this point home: in their weakness was their strength. In their weakness was their strength. Paul's words were vividly coming to life before my eyes. In the midst of pain, suffering, hardships, calamities, weaknesses, and insults, it's easy to let this truth fade from the forefront of our minds, isn't it?!

Yet the truth remains. "When I am weak, then I am strong."

Scripture is not clear on what Paul's weakness or thorn was, but the truth about which Paul writes applies to other followers of Christ, regardless of our thorns. There is a reason we are given "thorns." It could be to keep us humble, to cause us to rely on God and not ourselves, to strengthen us, to remind us that His grace is sufficient, or for some other reason we may never understand this side of eternity. Yet one thing is abundantly clear in this passage: our God is sovereign over all things, including our thorns, hardships, weaknesses, and calamities, and if you're a follower of Christ, He will always be moving in and through your weaknesses, your hardships, your persecutions, your thorns. In fact, by God's grace, you may discover what the little trees discovered during Katrina: it is your weakness that becomes your strength.

As I reflect on this scene in processing some of my own weaknesses and hardships, I am encouraged to go before the Lord to seek His help on seeing Paul's perspective. I pray you will, too. May we see them for what they are... a gift... "a thorn was given me in the flesh," and that thorn keeps us in constant touch with our limitations and our need for a Savior. We are desperately in need of God's grace. Always!

I am convicted by this thought of these weaknesses, thorns, hardships, calamities, persecutions, insults... limitations... as being gifts given. I need to quit focusing on the handicap and struggle they bring, real and difficult though it may be, and start also appreciating the gift that comes with it. Like the saplings, maybe this weakness is God's provision for my survival, His grace to me... His blessed protection that I just can't see or understand this side of the storm.

My prayer today is that you and I don't resist our limitations, weaknesses, and hardships so much as we allow them to push us to our knees, surrendering them and letting Jesus take control. I pray that in that process as Christ's power rests on you, and in due time, we will learn to be content as we begin to see how the Lord uses them as a magnifying glass for His power (and our ultimate good).

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

His grace IS sufficient. He is all we need. How I need to believe and trust this more.

Thankful for weakness and the grace (and protection) it gives me... or trying to be,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment